Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Race for US Senate

In less than one week, the polls will have closed statewide in Kentucky's primary election. I've had some time to think about who I support in the race to replace Sen. Jim Bunning. Five are running as Democrats and each has his (or her) merits. The two major candidates are Jack Conway (Attorney General) and Daniel Mongiardo (Lt. Governor). One of the three "minor candidates" is Darlene Price (fmr border agent and whistle blower).

In 2004, I voted for Jim Bunning who narrowly defeated Daniel Mongiardo. Within hours of casting my vote, I regretted my decision. I tell this story because I fear that I may again regret my vote. I am torn between two candidates.

Those candidates are Jack Conway and Darlene Price. The two could not be more day and night. Both are liberal Democrats and both would make an excellent Senator. The difference is that Conway is a career politican, is well-spoken and has many supporters. Price is a long-shot, folksy outsider who has an incredibly strong platform. If more heard and listened to Price, the more people would like (and vote) for her. I heard her speak two months ago and left the room wanting to vote for Price, but in the past couple weeks my mind has led me back to Conway.

Here's why: Rand Paul may win the Republican primary. If he does, I don't believe he is electable across a broader electorate. Sure, he might win a Tea-Party influenced GOP primary, but he doesn't have the cross-over appeal that Trey Grayson would. For that reason, I want an electable Democrat. That means I need to put my efforts behind one of the two major candidates. And I strongly prefer Jack Conway over Dan Mongiardo.

Conway has the support of several Kentucky Democrats who I admire, including Crit Luallen, Wendell Ford and John Yarmuth. Dan Mongiardo is described OntheIssues.org as a Populist-Leaning Conservative. As a liberal Democrat, I want someone in Washington who represents my worldview. I believe that candidate is Jack Conway.

No comments:

Post a Comment